Saturday, October 4, 2008

Hounddawg

If all goes well (or who really can say what would be best?), tomorrow I'll get to crew on Hounddawg (Annapolis, MD; captain: Drew) in the race around Todos Santos (?) Island (an island at the edge of the bay). I may be able to sail with them back to San Diego too.

I almost blew the whole thing: the paper I read about the race in, _The Log_ or _Baja Times_, said, I believe, that they would not arrive until late Saturday afternoon at the earliest. While shitting on the hillside around 4pm this afternoon, I googled "San Diego Ensenada race sail" and found they had already reported times, that it is only 60 nautical miles from Point Loma to Ensenada, that the awards ceremony was at noon today, and so on.

I walked quickly over to Hotel San Nicholas and asked around of the people still there--and found these guys in red shirts, playing pool, a bit drunk, who had been shorthanded on the way down.

This got me into the Cruise Port Marina, where I could take a shower and post more notes about seeking to crew. Now I'm back on top of the hill closest to town. Btw, midnight two nights ago one older guy and two younger ones walked by this spot--oblivious to me it seemed.

Aside from that, I had managed to enjoy being patient on the hillside, looking around (I never noticed a lot of sailboats coming in, but they may have all arrived Friday night), reading Calvino, partly in the shade of a bush. I was going to go down, get water, come back up, not go into town until Sunday.

It's drizzling.

2008-10-04-0940

Peace,

No comments: