Saturday, April 26, 2008

About

I'm getting rid of possessions I cannot carry and heading out to the forest with a PDA for reading books, a solar charger, and a cell phone.

My goals are to be able to blog about what I'm doing, to provide an example others can learn from, to stay in contact with urban dwellers so they can come out and visit, and to encourage and help them to be comfortable and to live simply in the outdoors.

Not everyone can follow this example. And I am sort of giving up on directly helping to green the cities, but I am inspired by the following:

Don't ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.—Howard Thurman

I cannot stay where I am in San Diego indefinitely, and I am not as excited about remaining in SD longer-term as I am about finding a way to make the forest my home. I've never really enjoyed moving myself longer distances around this city, nor have I ever gotten around to organizing many events in my neighborhood. And I know it is wonderful to spend time with people away from their cars in great unpaved places.

This project continues the exploration behind my earlier proposal for a walking sangha.

I've asked what has kept me from staying in the forest.

  • Food,
  • connection with others,
  • and mental engagement
were the main reasons that came up. I still don't know what to do about food. I'll miss visiting all the fruit trees I know. But with my PDA loaded with ebooks and a cell phone which can check email & Internet (if there's reception--from the mountaintops maybe?), maybe the other two issues will no longer be reasons for leaving.

No comments: