Been wondering how I could write a simple, acceptable statement of why I seek a career in the maritime industry. I don't think it will be too hard to write a simply-structured five-paragraph thing when the time comes, at a simple eighth-grade level. One paragraph intro, three developing ones, one as conclusion, each (or just the central three) with topic, illustration, and relation of the illustration to the topic and theme--
something like that.
The alternative, to go crazy with it, I won't do any more, I've done that enough. See especially my adaptation of the resume and coverletter genre to be more personally meaningful and relevant to my as-yet-undefined career--find this in my applications to work for Duke and CTY summer programs at http://j9k.org/cv -- click back to older versions a few times. (In terms of some of the indicators I developed, such as nights spent outdoors, days spent in carfree space, days not shitting in drinking water, my career may have been progressing.)
But now I may have to resist referencing Melville's _Moby Dick_. He comes right out with 'this is not about career but life.' HR pros hypothesize careers--(well, there is a business to run, not a cult/temple/church/ashram/community of inspiration/tribe--right? Southwest Airlines what do you say?). Anyways:
"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago--never mind how long precisely--having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation."
"If they but knew it, almost all men in their degree, some time or other, cherish very nearly the same feelings toward the ocean with me."
"Why is almost every robust healthy boy with a robust healthy soul in him, at some time or other crazy to go to sea?"
"But that same image ['the tormenting, mild image' seen by Narcissus], we ourselves see in all rivers and oceans. It is the image of the ungraspable phantom of life, and this is the key to it all."
---
That is not my orientation--I'd write a different essay. I'm headed seaward because the ungraspable phantom has left me, so far, with 'nothing particular to [focus] me on shore' beyond preparing to leave. Nor do I seem to share Ishmael's need to relieve "a damp, drizzly November in [the] soul."
Peace,
---
"For my part, I abominate all honorable, respectable toils, trials, and tribulations of every kind whatsoever. It is quite as much as I can do to take care of myself, without taking care of ships, barques, schooners, and whatnot."
No comments:
Post a Comment