Sunday, September 28, 2008

FW: Re: great issue #140; nowhere

[ While the following is not really intelligible, I continue to consider "how best to serve" as I walk. I tend to be thinking the best most people (among the norteños) can do is to do less. Or to have fun. And, oddly perhaps, of all the things I can think of that I'm able to do--what I'm doing now seems most fun--though varied, hard, uncertain, risky(?). Some organized way of helping people have fun while consuming less might pass as a more legit, recognizable way of helping the earth--beyond just exploring a possibility, beyond being perhaps an example.

I know I'm going nowhere, so I walk. While many others going nowhere drive there. And wider roads are built there, when one set of train tracks would serve to move as many in a more coordinated and social manner.

I walk past many nowheres being built, or already abandoned. In most nowheres down here (but those of the paisanos), no one has planted any food.
]

Hi Colin,

Thanks for your message! Very glad you enjoyed the issue.

May we have permission to reprint this as a letter to the editor? Your reward for this would be a complementary copy of the issue in which it appears (the next one, #141). If you like this idea, please let me know the address to which we should send the issue (this will be in mid-December). Also, is there anything you want to change about the message? We'll fix up any punctuation to fit our style sheet.

Thanks again and I'll wait to hear from you,

Chris Roth
Editor, Communities [ http://communities.ic.org ]

Colin Leath wrote:
The first I've read somewhat completely through perhaps ever.
I won't take the time to analyze why, though (well, I do, a bit). And unfortunately I won't be renewing as I'll now be living more nomadically, cheaply, leaving interest in formal community somewhat behind.

I guess #140 addresses my more anarchistic/network/somewhat community-apprehensive leaning. Has update from carfree hero [Evan & Kate?] Hughes. The e-list dialog summary. The impressive, beautiful europeans from Tamera (been curious). Was in Seattle when Nick Licata was running. The Morningstar story gets a bit at desire to avoid community process--. The idea of creating community where you are appeals--like Thich Nhat Hanh--"your sangha can be everything/we need the formal sangha". Often (, not living in community beyond occasional meetings with fellow activists,) all the stuff focusing on business and process, difficult members, etc, I'd just skip over. Moving from suburban-type isolation of "the middle" (a power lab/Barry Oshry concept), crossing the boundary to transformation, vision, growth--has been an ongoing question. How do I get out of my rut, create, help, serve? Together, with others? Will be wandering about, meeting whoever happens to be there, sometimes with that in mind.

Peace,

No comments: